Thursday, July 17, 2008

Setting the Stage

Last Spring one of my anthropology students began asking me to organize a student travel group. Being someone who tends to arrive in foreign places and allow myself to be blown around out of the sense that all experiences are valuable, I felt cautious. It felt too dangerous to subject students to such an approach to the unknown and thus I set out to organize a formal trip.

As the Spring semester ended I had upwards of 15 students claiming they would love to join me for such a trip. I picked Costa Rica because it sounded traveler-friendly as well as manageable for a two-week trip. I also wanted to pick a place I had never been, so I, too, might experience the awe of something new.

In early June I made contact with a Costa Rican travel agency that specializes in student travel and together we designed what seemed to be the perfect blend of Anthropology (primate observations, a visit to an archeological site and a homestay with local families) and Adventure (white water rafting, canopy jungle tour, snorkeling). The interested students faded away...and I began to promote the trip to colleagues, friends, etc. With the lack of lead time and the rise in airfares, I ultimately found few genuine takers. And a couple of weeks ago, the tour company backed out. I invited those who had signed up and were willing to travel more independently (without a 24\7 guide and a dedicated driver) to still come to Costa Rica.

I connected with a different tour company, Exploradores Outdoors, that was comfortable making arrangements for small groups and began to design a different trip. With the concept of Anthropology and Adventure Travel brewing in my head, I put together a trip that reflected those concepts. And ultimately I ended up with two travel companions, my friends Dennis and Linda. As a sort of personal-training for my nascent business venture, I did much of the booking myself. I created a trip that feels like it will mix intelligence and adventure with plenty of unstructured to uncover...and discover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Wolfe, this former student of yours would have LOVED to go on your trip. Had I the money and not been registered for the second summer session, I WOULD HAVE GONE!!! What an opportunity and what an adventure. I'll be checking your sight reguarly hoping that the chance will come again. Your lessons and enthusiasm has not been forgotten.

Ava said...

Hi Leanna,

That's an awe inspiring trip with great photos and commentary.

I am really impressed by how adventurous and brave you all are.

Welcome home,

Ava

Boyd said...

Dr Wolfe... your coverage is so good...
that I feel I may not have to make the trip..
thank you for the care and the sense of adventure you bring to these kind of journeys.

Boyd said...

if I do not make it to your evening... my love... I will be thinking of you in the land of Avalon